Economic Analysis and Strategic Planning
Today’s solid waste managers must always think strategically. Managing scarce resources, and delivering vital public services within a constantly evolving competitive environment, demands a long range perspective. What is ‘strategic planning’? Strategic planning is a process that:
- Identifies customers’ needs, wants, and expectations.
- Analyzes environmental and market constraints
- Diagnoses an agency’s weaknesses
- Identifies an agency’s competitive advantages
- Reaffirms or defines an agency’s mission and values
- Enables an agency to detect threats and capitalize on opportunities
- Establishes short and long term goals that are in alignment with the agency’s mission and values.